Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A day in the big woods...

All of our December babies are doing very well. They are all thriving and growing by leaps and bounds. They have reached the age that it was time for them to go out and explore the big world. Being so warm out the other day, I left them all out of their goat yard to roam free around our woodland property to do some exploring. All 7 kids pretty much stuck together as they went to discover what was around the next tree. The momma's decided to stray off from the kids to go munch on a large bail of hay we have wrapped under a tarp. All except one that is, Hopi stayed with the kids for the whole outing. It was like she was appointed the designated "babysitter" for the day. But she had a wonderful time entertaining the kids. She pounced, ran, hopped, and leaped, and as she did each so would the kids. It was so enjoyable watching her play with the kids that I had a smile glued to my face for the entire hour. I called her "Aunt Hopi" and it fit her well for the day. She treated each kid as if they were her own. If one would stray off to far and start to cry out because it thought it was lost, she would quickly run over and comfort that baby and gently nudge it back to the group. Then they would all start running off in the same direction together. They explored downed tree stumps, rock piles, and bushes. It was a new learning experience for each kid. In one instance, a big hawk came around and started getting lower and lower casting his dark shadow over the area where the kids were now browsing. Aunt Hopi immediately went into action and rounded up all the kids and stood over them until the hawk got the idea that there would be "no free lunch here today" so moved on. Of course I was in full alert mode at this point ready to take action and rescue kids if need be, but I quickly realized that would not be necessary as I saw each kid standing under Hopi for safety until the threat was gone. What a wonderful doe Hopi is. It was a beautiful site indeed watching her with the kids on their adventure in the big woods. The way she cared for each one like her own. I have to wonder now if another doe will be appointed to watch the kids on their next outing or if it will always be Hopi that volunteers for the position... I will have to wait until another lovely day here at Laurel Haven when I let them out again to discover the answer. I will be sure to keep you all posted when that happens. But I wanted to share our "adventure in the big woods" with you all. And the caring compassion our doe Hopi, "Aunt Hopi" that is, showed towards all 7 babies. What wonderful animals these goats are. I have always known they were a special breed of animal, but when I watch with my own eyes events like this, it is so rewarding to have my herd that I have. The goats have taught me so much, and gave so much back that I would have never thought possible before I ever owned a goat. Anyone that owns these Nigerian Dwarf goats knows what I am trying to say... they are a special breed of compassionate, intelligent, unique animals. I could not imagine my life without now.

2 comments:

  1. what a sweet story. Loved it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I don't see the kidding date for Warrior & Robyn. Is everything alright?

    ReplyDelete